Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ahh... it's election year...

"Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't usually involve myself in politics. I don't watch TV and I certainly couldn't tell you who our politicians are (in general) unless their names have been shoved down our throats.

And I love to listen. I'm intrigued by people's opinions, by their point of views. I don't even come close to thinking that I know everything (though I admit, sometimes I fake it like I do know everything :D ).

My point is this; if you are passionate about something, AWESOME! Let's hear what you have to say. But don't expect me to take you seriously unless you can back up what you're saying with FACTS.

To those who may have seen me posting contrary arguments to your posts; please know that I went searching for backup to your argument. I want my friends to be validated. However, I want the validation to be backed up by facts. If I find the your statement to be in error, and post the facts, it's not to be rude or insensitive to how you feel. It's because I believe there are too many people spouting out BS or unfounded opinions and I want your statements to be educated and fact-filled! To these same friends who I post opposing arguments; PLEASE throw it back if you can give me solid evidence to oppose what I've said."

This was a post I made on Facebook one afternoon.  I need to vent for a moment.  The catalyst to this statement came from a High School acquaintance's post on his page.  He is a new Christian who is still learning the ropes.  He's headstrong, passionate, and seems to be eager to learn everything he can about his new belief structure.  However, this is where my compliments will end for the time being.  This guy seems to do what most people, (at least US citizens) tend to do.  We read an article, or see something on TV, take it for truth and run with it.  We formulate an opinion without doing the legwork to discover the whole story.  Why?  Because it's easy.  Because we want to believe that the people giving us our news are impartial.  That these people are knowledgeable... that these people have done their homework.

The sad truth is, EVERYONE has an agenda.  Everyone has an opinion, a feeling that what they believe is the true and right way to live or believe.  We're all guilty of it.  I found that when I was replying to his post, I'd only viewed part of the video, did research and made a statement that I had to later edit because I finished watching the video he had referred to.

I guess the whole point of all of this is that I am urging you, my readers to be educated.  Ask questions and have independent thought.  Don't make a snap judgement or decision based on how something seems on the surface or how you reacted emotionally to it.  Take that passion and do some digging!   We Americans have become so complacent that we are being robbed of our dignity, our money, and our freedom every day by the people we "trust" to look out for our well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment